Monday, July 19, 2010

It's official. The crib has become a safety hazard.

We have been dragging our feet with the transition from the crib to a toddler bed. Ethan has shown us that NOW is the time to make the change. He was protesting sleep last night and ended up making a crash landing on the floor. We felt horrible, and are more than grateful he didn't hurt himself. It happened rather quickly. We have a video monitor, and we always keep an eye on him until he falls asleep. If we see that he is standing up, we go in there and lay him back down. Last night, we noticed that he stood up, so we went in there to lay him down. The minute we opened the door, we heard the crash that made my stomach drop.

Tonight will be his 1st night in his big boy bed. It is a little sad for me to see him growing up so fast. I'm not even ready for him to turn 2 next month, or to start potty training. I am often asked if he is potty trained or if we are potty training. The answer is NO. I am not in any hurry to have him potty trained. I don't think he is ready, and I know I'm not ready. We will start potty training when we are ready, rather than the "normal." I don't feel that there is any reason we should rush it.

Now that we are on the subject of Ethan, here are a few recent highlights:

* He still loves Lightening Mcqueen, but he now also loves "Buzz-Year" (Buzz Lightyear)
We're hoping he will love Lightening Mcqueen for a least a few more weeks, since his birthday party is centered around Lightening Mcqueen!

*He is getting really tan!!! I know, it is partly thanks to my genes, but it is worrying me. I am ALWAYS slathering on the SPF 50, and after 20 minutes- he is already getting tan. He is too young for the sun to start damaging his skin!!!

*We are teaching colors right now, and he is just too cute for words. He is doing really well! He can point out yellow, red, green and blue....most of the time. Other times, he just starts rattling off colors. He will be holding a blue crayon, and say "weh-yo!" He is getting it though!

*We are also working on numbers. He has a lot of counting books that he loves, and I will count things with him. Then, he tries to do it himself. He will point, and say "2, 3, 1, 2, 2, 3" That one may take a little longer!

1 comment:

  1. You absolutely should potty train only when you feel ready. There is no "normal" time frame.
    Sorry the poor little guy took a crash from the crib. Hopefully he stays in his big boy bed now.

    ReplyDelete